Monday, January 14, 2002
Sheriff’s Credit Card Scandal Needs to Move Forward—Judge
By a MetNews Staff Writer
A Los Angeles Superior Court judge Friday told lawyers representing a sheriff’s deputy and six others accused in an alleged credit card scam it was “time to dance or get off the stage” in the year-old case that has yet to go to trial.
Attorneys for Deputy Jesse Zungia, three civilian jail workers and three others indicted by the Los Angeles County grand jury on conspiracy to commit grand theft among other charges have yet to reach a dispensation in the case.
“My concern is this case is a year old,” Judge William Pounders said, expressing frustration at the regular lack of attendance by lawyers on the case. “We need to move on this. We need people to show up.”
A motion to dismiss the charges against Tirrell Thomas, a jail worker who was also indicted on attempted receiving stolen property charges, was denied by Pounders. Thomas disputed the credibility testimony presented by a grand jury witness Sgt. Michael Pippin, one of the lead investigators in the case, recounting what he had heard a woman who had been convicted of perjury say while speaking to defendant Christopher Coleman, but Pounders ruled the woman had not been held up to the grand jury as a credible witness and she did not testify.
Tiffany Williams, who was indicted on attempted receiving stolen property, is due back in court Jan. 28 and Zuniga is due back Feb. 25 for possible dispositions. The remaining defendants, jail workers Thomas, Christopher Coleman and Meko Goodley, and Marcus Coleman and Andrea Kizzee are due back in court March 8.
Christopher Coleman was indicted on 15 charges of grand theft with access cards and attempted receiving stolen property, while Goodley, Marcus Coleman and Kizzee were indicted on attempted receiving stolen property.
Copyright 2002, Metropolitan News Company