Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Attorney Carter Pulls Plug on Nascent Judicial Candidacy
By a MetNews Staff Writer
A Los Angeles attorney who filed paperwork to raise money for a Superior Court campaign said he will not go through with the effort.
Jeffrey Carter said in a release Friday that he had opted out of running “for two reasons’—the “exorbitant” cost and that “given the political realities here in this County, the chances of prevailing would be low.”
In an interview last month, Carter—whose practice has largely been in the corporate area—said he was aware that civil attorneys tend not to do well in Los Angeles County judicial races, which are dominated by incumbent judges, prosecutors, and subordinate judicial officers. He filed the paperwork, however, because he felt he should “look carefully” at running, he said.
Carter said he was “ending the [fundraising] Committee and will be making the necessary filings with the California Fair Political Practices Commission.” He added that he intends to “continue to serve as a Judge Pro Tempore in courthouses all over Los Angeles County.”
Others who have filed campaign paperwork and/or announced they intend to run for the court in the June 2016 primary are Century city attorney Aaron Weissman and Deputy District Attorneys Debra Archuleta, David Berger, and Steven Ipson.
Douglas Weitzman, who has unsuccessfully run four times for a judgeship, lists himself on his LinkedIn page as “Past Judicial Candidate, and future candidate, 2016.”
Copyright 2015, Metropolitan News Company