Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Superior Court Judge Rex Heeseman Will Not Seek Reelection
By a MetNews Staff Writer
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Rex Heeseman said yesterday that he will not be running for reelection this June.
“I’ve been on the court for almost nine years,” Heeseman, 71, said. “But, it’s time to move on.”
He said he would likely not serve out his term, and is “probably going to leave in June.”
Heeseman was appointed to the bench on June 13, 2005, by then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Before his appointment, he practiced civil litigation for over 30 years. In 1994, he became a partner with Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps, now merged with McKenna, Long & Aldridge, before becoming managing partner of the Los Angeles office. From 1975 until 1994, he was an associate and partner with Adams, Duque & Hazeltine.
Worked for U.S. Attorney
Prior to entering private practice, Heeseman was an assistant and special assistant U.S. attorney, from 1971 until 1975.
He has co-authored California practice guides about insurance litigation.
Heeseman has served as a member of the California Judicial Council and the Ninth Circuit Advisory Committee. He is a former County Bar trustee, and the former editor-in-chief of the Los Angeles Bar Journal. He was also chair of the Los Angeles Bar’s Litigation Section.
He served in the U.S. Army, where he obtained the rank of captain, and has taught insurance law at Loyola Law School and UCLA.
Heeseman received his bachelor’s degree from Claremont McKenna College, and his law degree from Stanford University.
Assistant Los Angeles City Attorney Tom Griego yesterday became the second candidate to file for Heeseman’s seat. Criminal defense attorney Andrew Stein of Bellflower filed last week.
In other election news, Superior Court Commissioner Emma Castro said she had filed a declaration of intent to run for the seat of Judge Bob S. Bowers Jr. Bowers was said to be in jury trial yesterday, and did not return a MetNews phone call seeking comment on his plans.
Castro said she had not spoken to Bowers, and that she would switch to another race if the incumbent ran.
Also, Judge Lance Ito, who appeared at the filing window in Norwalk on the first day of the declaration of intent period but did not file, and said at the time that he was “keeping my options open,” did not return a phone call. Deputy District Attorney Shannon Knight filed last week for Ito’s seat, but said she would not run against him.
Other incumbents who had not filed as of Monday included Judge Ronald Sohigian and Judge Tony L. Richardson. Deputy District Attorney Efrain Aceves has filed for Sohigian’s seat, but no one has filed for Richardson’s.
Today is the last day that incumbent judges may file for reelection. There will be an extended filing period, until Monday, in any seat for which the incumbent does not file.
Copyright 2014, Metropolitan News Company