Friday, May 4, 2012
Superior Court Candidate Reports ‘Not Qualified’ Rating
By a MetNews Staff Writer
A candidate for Los Angeles Superior Court judge reported yesterday that he had been rated “not qualified” by the County Bar’s Judicial Elections Evaluation Committee and that he would not appeal.
Lawrence Kaldor, one of four candidates for the seat being vacated by Judge Deborah Andrews after 18 years, said he was told he lacked sufficient trial experience to be considered qualified for the position.
Kaldor, who has a largely pro bono practice and will be designated on the ballot as a “Domestic Violence Litigator,” is participating in the volunteer prosecutor program at the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office and said he would be starting his third trial there on Monday.
“I’m just going to keep moving forward on my journey to being a judge,” he told the MetNews.
Kaldor faces three opponents in the race—Deputy District Attorney Sean Coen, attorney/musician/record producer Joe Escalante, and Deputy District Attorney Craig Gold.
Coen was rated “qualified” and did not appeal.
Escalante declined to discuss his rating. “I don’t want to be part of the daily conversation,” he commented.
Gold did not respond to an e-mail inquiring about his rating. His campaign consultant, Ray Bishop, yesterday said he did not know his client’s rating but would try to find out.
Bishop assured, however, that his candidate is “more than qualified” to serve.
Copyright 2012, Metropolitan News Company