Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Studio City Talent Manager Faces Criminal Charges
By a MetNews Staff Writer
Prosecutors from the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office yesterday announced that charges have been filed against a Studio City-based talent manager for allegedly operating an advance-fee talent scheme that placed several minors at risk of harm.
Nicholas Roses, 21, and his company, Roses Entertainment Group, face seven misdemeanor counts, including three counts of operating an advance fee talent representation service, one count of failing to file the proper $50,000 bond with the State Labor Commission, and one count of failing to use written artist contracts.
If convicted on all charges, Roses could face up to seven years in jail and more than $70,000 in fines and penalties, an office spokesperson said.
The cases arises from complaints to the office regarding Roses from three parents in January, the spokesperson said. Each of the parents purportedly met Roses at a talent agency workshop in Ohio last year, and he offered to manage their children—ages 6, 13, and 14 at the time—and advised each of the parents to relocate to Los Angeles and sign up for his summer entertainment industry “boot camp.”
The parents claim that they came to the city and paid approximately $3,000 per child to attend the August 2010 week-long “boot camp,” which was extremely disorganized, with participants ranging in age from six to 62, all randomly thrown together. Roses allegedly failed to provide adequate seating or sufficient food, water and breaks during the 12-hour program. Many of the children became ill, including one girl who developed swollen lungs, hives and rashes, prosecutors said.
Deputy City Attorney Mark Lambert is prosecuting the case.
Arraignment is scheduled for May 5 in Department 81 of the Central Arraignment Court.
Copyright 2011, Metropolitan News Company