Metropolitan News-Enterprise


Monday, March 8, 2010


Page 3


Superior Court Commissioner Marc D. Lauper to Retire


By a MetNews Staff Writer


Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Marc D. Lauper said Friday he is stepping down after 29 years on the bench.

Lauper, 67, told the MetNews he will serve his last day on the bench March 24 and officially retire April 30.

A former Los Angeles County deputy district attorney who practiced privately for seven years before he was appointed a commissioner in 1981, Lauper says he is stepping down now because “it’s just time,” noting that his time on the bench and in the District Attorney’s Office adds up to “32 years and nine months” of service to the county.

He said he does not anticipate going into private judging or returning to legal practice, but will instead spend time with his family and travel.

Lauper also indicated he had “mixed feelings” about leaving after so many years, noting that he has “thoroughly enjoyed” his time on the bench and had “great assignments.”

“I will miss it,” he acknowledged.

Born in Oakland, Lauper attended Oakland City College before heading to France for 2 1/2 years on a mission trip for the Mormon Church. When he returned, he graduated from Brigham Young University in Utah and went on to obtain his law degree from UC Davis in 1970.

He served as a law clerk in the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office during law school and while studying for the California bar exam, and then joined the office as a deputy district attorney after admission to the State Bar in 1971.

Three years later, Lauper accepted an ailing friend’s request to take over the friend’s Glendora law practice, and concentrated on juvenile and criminal law for seven years until his appointment to the bench by judges of the court.

He served most of his judicial career at the Pomona North Courthouse, where he handled small claims, unlawful detainers, and civil and traffic cases. He became a Superior Court commissioner in 2000 upon court unification, and moved to the West Covina Courthouse three years ago.


Copyright 2010, Metropolitan News Company